Calvary United Methodist Church exists to be “An Oasis in the Desert” by extravagantly Passing God’s Love Around .
The mission of Calvary UMC is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world through loving, living, and serving like Jesus.
Our church is solidly based in Biblical truths and we stand firm in the knowledge and faith that we are a new creation in Christ. As a congregation, we seek to follow God in creating a model of what it means to be God Shaped, Christ Centered, and Holy Spirit led.
- We value authentic worship of God. We believe that humanity was made to worship God individually and the church corporately in spirit and truth. (John 4:23)
- We value the anointed teaching and application of God’s Word for transformation and passionate spiritual growth. (II Timothy 3:16-17)
- We value strategic service empowered by mature spiritual leadership and exercising of our God given gifts and talents. (l Peter 4:10)
- We value true biblical community where life change happens through friendships of sharing, caring, and loving one another through discipleship, vulnerability and accountability. (Acts 2:44-47)
- We value outreach to the internal and external communities connecting us to people as they are, where they are, emphasizing God’s grace, unconditional acceptance and full forgiveness through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:19-20)
- We believe in God, our Parent, who created all things seen and unseen. God is revealed to us through the person of Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit, an inward personal presence in our lives.
- We believe God loves us and desires a relationship with each of us so we may become whole.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired authoritative Word of God. God, through the Bible, reveals God’s desires and direction for each of us.
- We believe that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and we are redeemed by God’s grace.
- We believe God gave us Jesus Christ whose life, death and resurrection saves us. We believe in the redemptive work of Christ on the cross and that one day, He will return.
- We believe Jesus Christ’s steadfast love and strength help us to fully experience the joys and overcome the suffering in our lives.
- We believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe Jesus values children and youth. Jesus wants them to be nurtured faithfully.
- We believe God wants us to do justice and have mercy for all people, because all people matter to God.
- We believe in the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper
We will accomplish our vision by living out our mission through our priorities
- Loving like Christ
Vital congregations go out into the community meeting people wherever we are, while we are at the gas station, the grocery store, working out and on our jobs. Wherever we are, we can let them know about Jesus Christ and invite them to come and see. This will help bring people to meet and experience Christ. Loving like Jesus develops a mindset of relationship and belonging.
- Living like Christ
Spiritual formation is a key component in developing mature disciples of Jesus Christ. We believe Bible studies, Children Church, small group forums/table talks, book reviews, and topical studies will help people learn more about what it means to be disciple living their faith out loud. We also believe that leadership development and mentoring also play an important role in learning to follow Christ.
- Serving like Christ
“Taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8).